So, Mix B for Batch 10 suffered some difficulties.
This past weekend, I was helped in creating the second, superior mold type, with a Lexan plate bottom, 3″x3″ Square, 7/16″ Thick. Seattle Engraving inscribed a perfect circular groove into a Dozen Plates for me. I had purchased a 2′ length of 2.5″ Plexiglas (Extruded) Tube I had cut into 11 Sections. These they ground true and fitted to the Plates.
I made another batch and a half, and I took half the Molds to work with. One pair I dipped in Paraffin Wax, a second pair was coated in Petroleum Jelly, and the third pair remained clean. As soon as the Mix was completed in the “Faster” Mixer, I poured it into the molds.
The Plates were fine, as they were Lexan. The Tubes, however, had an interesting reaction to the Ethyl portion of my Alcogel. The Tubes for the Clean pair shattered after 10-15 seconds. Petroleum Jelly coated ones lasted another 20 seconds or so. The Paraffin Wax protected the Tubes for a few minutes, which was more than enough time for the Gels to Set, but they eventually succumbed to the Solvent. Happily enough, the Wax coating was thick enough to actually contain the Gel by keeping the Plexiglas Tube together.
So, all in all, I have 9 Gels, and a paper-towel filled with scrap (capped at both ends with a coffee filter) sitting in the second of 5 Ethyl Baths. Unfortunately, I am out of High-Proof Ethyl at this time, and I must re-dehydrate the ethyl I have on hand now, or purchase more.
Fortunately, I may be able to get the licensing I need soon enough to purchase Scientific Ethyl (200 Proof) from Washington State, as opposed to purchasing Drinking Ethyl (Vodka) and using 3Å Molecular sieve to extract the H2O. Not just faster, but cheaper too.
Anyhoo, that’s the situation currently. I’ll let you know more as things develop.